Are you passionate about leadership? Does being part of the Southwest Chapter leadership team interest you? If you answered yes to both questions, then consider becoming a Candidate for Chapter Secretary. To become a candidate, you need to be a North Florida PGA Member in good standing and complete the online Candidate Leadership Application. Once this is done and approved you can begin campaigning following the Election Guidelines.
Expectations of being an elected leadership?
Service will be frustrating and rewarding, frightening and fun, confusing and enlightening. It will rarely be dull. If you do the job expected of a leader, you’ll work hard and donate many hours you probably didn’t expect to give when you agreed to serve. You’ll find yourself investing much of yourself, and hopefully enjoying every minute of it. Here is a summary of the time commitment you should expect as an elected leader.
- Two Years in progression of Chairs (6-years in total)
- Chapter Officer monthly calls (typically 30 minutes)
- Chapter Planning Meeting (Oct) (4 hours)
- Chapter Quarterly Meetings w/ Members & Associates
- Email communications with Board and Members/Associates
- Support of Chapter Chapter Education, Tournament & Community Events
- Section Executive Board Monthly Conference Calls (1 hour)
- Section Executive Board Quarterly Meetings (1/2 day)
- Section Leadership Planning Session (2 days in August)
- Committee Meetings (3 to 4 one-hour meetings)
- Our goal is to be efficient and make quality use of everyone’s valuable time
What makes a good leader?
There are many things that make a good leader. This is not an all-encompassing list, but these are qualities all good leaders follow.
- Come to meetings with opinions not decisions
- Focus on the mission of the organization
- Get to know your fellow board members and staff
- Listen, listen, listen
- Learn where to go for answers
- Stress the positive
- Keep confidential information, confidential
- Be prepared for meetings
- Be willing to compromise
- Make decisions best for Section as a whole not a personal agenda